Friday, May 19, 2006

Islam and us - response to an article by Balbir Punj

Dear Balbir Punj Saab,

Though I now subscribe to Hindustan Times, I never fail to buy Asian Age on alternate Tuesdays just to read your editorial page article. This week your article ‘Islam and us’ presented the Muslim mindset in its precise topography.

Punj Saab. I have a gut theory, which I am unable to pursue for authentication because I am not much of an academic nor do I possess the intellectual brilliance to marshal facts and correlate it to present an irecontrovertible argument. All of which capacity, most fortunately for your ardent readers, you have in abundance.

My ‘gut’ theory is this: That Sufism is a movement that was extant even before Mohammad found Islam. That Sufism only merged (but never submerged) in Islam to escape certain persecution by an intolerant Islam. (The Sufi “An’e Al Haq” is pure Vedanta – “Aham Brahmasmi”.)

Please give my ‘theory’ a thought. If it is worth pursuing, you might want to do it. Otherwise, this e-mail may pronto be deleted - as one from a nut seeing things where none exists.

Before I close, I was wondering if there is not a parallel in Christianity in the form of the Gnostics - what with the Gospel of Judas and all being played up now. “For you will sacrifice the man that clothes me” is pure Vedanta – maybe Jesus learnt it when he was in India, having heard of Krishna’s “you change bodies like clothes are changed”?.

No comments: