Saturday, October 21, 2006

Quran and Shariat

27.07.02
To: ib@I-g.org

Dear Mr. I.A. Ibrahim,

I have just read your book “A Brief Illustrated Guide to Understanding Islam (2nd edition) brought out by Darussalam, Houston. I am impressed by its contents. However, you have not mentioned anything about shariat. I have the following query:

Is shariat that which is culled only from the Quran or does it also include texts which are from sources other than the Quran?

I ask this question because I see that on matters like talaq, some countries have altered its interpretation under certain circumstances. I doubt if any injunction from the Quran can be tampered with and therefore I was wondering if some injunctions in the Shariat could be from sources not as sacrosanct as the Quran. Please clarify or guide me to a site on the internet where I would get the answer to my query.

No comments: