Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Letter to friend on Churchianity

11.03.05.
Dear Mr. Job,

Sometime back over the phone I mentioned a rather uncharitable remark about Pope John Paul. I might have hurt your feelings and if so, I am sorry.

I brought up the subject in the context of religious conversions. I strongly believe that the idea of religious conversion is anathema to a spiritual outlook as it implies that one religion is superior to another. This is not the Hindu view, which believes that there are many ways to God and all ways are equally valid. The Pope leads the Christian view that only a belief in Jesus Christ leads to salvation. This is the Church view. I do not think Jesus Christ himself held such a narrow view. Thus, I have nothing against Christianity but quite a lot against Churchianity!

I hope you get the drift of my thoughts.

No comments: