Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Basic needs


Aren’t there things like basic needs? Food is a basic need. Probably the only need. Man can survive without cloths (maybe even thrive!). There is accessible to man the powers of yoga and if he becomes a yogi, even the problem of shelter might be overcome, leaving him with only the problem of food. Why, a yogi, with sufficient self-control, can overcome the food problem by turning to leaves and all that stuff. With sufficient knowledge, he might be able to feed on tree leaves which are available a plenty. Then where is the problem? Of course, there is then the final solution, the Jain way of starving to death. Now, for starving to death, you don’t have to become a Jain or learn any technique. Just an unconditional approach. In my case, I would be conscious about the whole things and would thereby be able to make the best out of the worst.

Again, in my case, the question would persist – what about my family. Alas, what can I say except that the avenue of freedom is open to them also, more so as I have sought my best to explain the advantages of taking this high path to spirituality and freedom. Why should I abandon my path and find myself unequal to the task of helping them in other ways? Spiritual goal being the highest goal of mankind, any success by anyone in that field would be of greater value to mankind than the loss incurred by abandoned family ‘duties’ and sufferings caused thereby.

No comments: